Wednesday, October 27, 2010

it's my acropolis if i say so

It's only taken me close to six weeks to visit the wonder called the Acropolis which is a whole 5 minute walk from my apartment. Rain was in the forecast and no one else wanted to risk getting caught in it while up there. Alone time ended up being so wonderful especially for the completely fabulous, ancient, massive work of art and construction that I got to see. I was fighting back tears at some moments (I know, I'm a nerd). But it truly made me so emotional to be there. It's incredible. I still can't make sense of how it came together. In the museum they have the sculptures in the round that came from the pediments of the Parthenon. They have all the friezes displayed in a giant rectangle, the order and way they would have appeared if they were still on the building. And the caryatids! I mean wow. I was right there.
One random fact I learned today- the myth of Athena's birth is that someone split Zeus' head with an ax (in an effort to remedy a bad headache he had) and she came out. But that starts with the story about him swallowing Metis, his lover of sorts, when she was in the form of a fly because he thought she would have a son by him that would end up dethroning him. One of the pediments is a depiction or suggestion of taking place at the birth of Athena. Definitly not as detailed or graphic as the real story but all Greeks would have known the myth anyways at that time. And also she came out full grown, not a baby or anything crazy like that.
I've had a few conversations with some of my housemates about all the structures, buildings, and monuments that were built during this age and the people who made them. Must they have been extremely prideful and sure of themselves? Because they had to have known that they were building the greatest constructions up to that point (and arguably since that time as well). Perfectionists? Humbly trying to please the gods? Showing off to surrounding civilizations? Being the best of the best. We still do that though, perhaps only in seemingly smaller ways.
The sky was great because these full, heavy clouds were crawling closer with the sun trying to peak a little longer before it was overtaken. Storm's a comin' I thought. The rain held off for my whole venture around the rocky hill and through my time in the museum. When I went to walk home it started to downpour like crazy. A million street vendors were trying to sell me umbrellas but my mama once told me: "you're not sugar, you won't melt". And what do you know! She was right. I made it back wonderfully wet and made myself noodles and vegetables. 

It's good to be rained on periodically.

No comments:

Post a Comment